Dear Earth Deeds Supporters,
I trust you are all well and enjoying the day. It’s been over a month since our last update, but we’re working hard and would like to share with you the following exciting developments:
- NextGEN Funding: While at the GEN-Europe Conference, I worked with NextGEN, the youth group of the Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), to measure their CO2 footprint and raise funds for two NextGEN projects. We ended up raising $811, which is being shared with two projects. Here are comments from the recipients:
- OmSunisa Jamwiset (Nature Youth Camp in Thailand) – “I feel thankful for this donation and that others have faith in what we are doing. In addition to our reforestation work, some of the money will support a NextGEN empowerment training in northern Sri Lanka for 40 youth who will afterward take initiatives for positive change in their villages. So this gift will keep giving!”
- Linda Kabaira (SCOPE Programme in Zimbabwe) – “I am grateful to Earth Deeds for empowering NextGEN youth to learn and share about carbon consciousness and for supporting SCOPE. The SCOPE Programme brings permaculture into classrooms to help young Zimbabweans become responsible citizens with regard to natural resources management, food security and food sovereignty. Earth Deeds funding will help SCOPE reach out to more young people in Zimbabwe and create more create local, resilient communities.”
- Valley Venture Mentors: We have advanced to the final round of Valley Venture Mentors, an entrepreneurial incubator in the Pioneer Valley. Our audition “Pitch” will be on September 25th. Wish us luck!
- UMass Amherst Class: Earth Deeds will be the primary case study for a Social Entrepreneurship class in UMass’ Isenberg School of Management this fall. Over 30 students will help us further develop our business model, financials and marketing. Exciting!
- Executive Overview: We recently completed a beautiful 6-page Executive Overview to share with potential investors. Let us know if you’d like to see it.
- AASHE: I will be offering a presentation about our first pilot, “Beyond Carbon Offsetting: Making a Sustainable Living Class Carbon Conscious” at the AASHE conference in Nashville on Oct. 7. This will be a great opportunity to share Earth Deeds with like-minded folks within the academic world.
- Other Upcoming Events: We may also be presenting at PowerShift in Pittsburgh (Oct. 18-21) and will have a table at Bioneers by the Bay (Oct. 25-27). Come see us there!
- Advanced Search: We continue to develop Earth Deeds online tools. One recent feature we’re excited about is the ability to search over 112,000 organizations on Wiser Earth – the Social Network for Sustainability. We are hoping to implement similar searches with other networks (e.g. GEN, Transition Network) and become the largest clearinghouse of sustainability projects in the world!
Thanks again for your support. Please like and share our Earth Deeds’ page on Facebook if you haven’t already and feel free to contact me directly if you have ideas or would like to get more involved.